This group of four telephone boxes are examples of the Kiosk No.6 (K6), located at Avoncroft Museum, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire and form part of the BT National Phone Box Collection displayed here.
The General Post Office (G.P.O.) asked Sir Giles Gilbert Scott the designer of the K2 London phone box to create an improved smaller and less expensive design, the first of which was installed in 1936. Originally all were painted Post Office red, but after 1949 many villages opted for a less obtrusive Grey or Green. Between 1936 - 1968 some 60,000 were installed.
The General Post Office ceased to be a government department under the provisions of the Post Office Act 1969, the Corporation was split into two divisions - Posts and Telecommunications - which thus became two distinct businesses for the first time. The Post Office ceased to be a Government Department on 1 October 1969 and was established as a public corporation under the Post Office Act. Making it a nationalised industry similar to the Gas and Electricity supply industry and became known as Post Office Telephones.